Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Linguine Swiss Tart and what's happening here

Cool weather would fetch a pretty penny around here if it could be purchased.  I gaze longingly at my long sleeve tops and sweaters but it's so sweltering hot I don't know when I will have a chance to wear them.  When we move away.  North.  That's the answer!

Anyway......here is a quick update.

Books -Recently I have read:
The Last Policeman and Countdown City, both by Ben Winters (pre-apocalyptic lit)
Sleeping in the Ground by Peter Robinson (#24 in the Inspector Banks series)

Also, I recently joined up with the Kindle British Mystery Book Club and have found some new authors to read. It's been a pleasure looking over the extensive list of British authors as well as those with a setting in Great Britain.   The Facts of Life and Death by Belinda Bauer was my first and I'm currently reading The Devil's Work by Mark Edwards.

Facts of Life last police SleepingintheGround

Movies
We watched Ocean's 11 last night, an oldie but we enjoyed it.  We will try the original with Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr in the future, see how it compares.
The Missing with Tommy Lee Jones, another oldie, and we are both champing to get season three of Broadchurch.  Happy to see David Tennant is still in the series.

broadchurch


Food
Carby meal or not, it's hard to say no to a slab of this rich, saucy pasta pie.

swiss1


Straight out of the oven.  It's very difficult to let this sit five minutes before slicing, but you can, and if you do then you may as well have used a scoop.  Not that it matters a whit to the taste.

swiss3


Ingredients..........

½ cup butter, divided
2 cloves garlic, minced
Thinly sliced French bread
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Salt and pepper
Dash if nutmeg
2 ½ cups milk
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 eggs, beaten
8 ounces linguine, cooked and drained
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
1/3 cup sliced green onions
2 tablespoons fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
2 plum tomatoes, each cut lengthwise into eigths

Directions


Melt ¼ cup butter in saucepan and then add garlic. Cook a few minutes and then brush half your garlic butter in a 10-inch pie pan. Line your buttered pan with the French bread slices to form a crust. Now brush the rest of the garlic butter on the bread. Make sure you have the bread slices lined up so you have a 1 inch overhang.

Bake in preheated 400 F oven for 5 minutes. Take it out. Reduce oven temperature to 350 F.

Melt remaining ¼ cup butter in saucepan. Stir in flour and seasonings. Gradually add milk, cooking and stirring constantly until the mixture thickens. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Now stir some of the mixture into the beaten eggs and add that egg mix right back into the sauce.

See how it thickens up – looks delicious!

Take the sauce off the heat and set aside.

Now – take your cooked linguine and combine it in a large bowl with 1 ¼ cups Swiss cheese, green onions and basil.

Pour sauce over the linguine mixture. Toss to coat.

Pour this fabulously cheesing pasta mixture directly on to the French bread. Arrange tomatoes on top and top with remaining Swiss cheese.

I've shared this before but it's so good that it deserves to be highlighted again.
Hope everyone's week is going well!


5 comments:

  1. I didn't even know that there was an original Ocean 11 with Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr.! I'll have to try to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicki, if you liked The Italian Job with Donald Sutherland you may want to check out the original of that one too. Michael Caine stars in that one and th used mini coopers. Lots of remakes these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband, not a great reader, just got a Robinson book to read from the library.
    I loved the series Broadchurch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those carbs, I mean, that slab of linguine pie, looks so good! We stopped watching Broadchurch before finishing Season 1. It got too sad and dark for my husband's taste. I should go back to it on my own!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jackie, I liked that last Robinson book. Now I have to wait for him to put another out. I worry about Alan Banks aging in real time. Eventually he will have to retire.

    Laurie, I can recommend seasons 1 and 2 of Broadchurch. We just got season 3 and we didn't finish it. they should have stopped at two seasons

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........